Community Partnerships for Services in Schools

Trillium Lakelands District School Board (TLDSB) recognizes the value of working and learning together with community agencies, partners, and professional organizations towards our goal of meaningful learning and success for all. Student achievement, well-being, and equity are priorities when enhancing programs and services through community-based partnership agreements that align with the Board’s strategic directions, vision, mission, and values.

Expectations for school board protocols for external partnerships are outlined in the Ministry of Education’s PPM 149: Protocol for partnerships with external agencies for provision of services by regulated health professionals, regulated social service professionals, and paraprofessionals.

TLDSB is committed to promoting effective community partnerships that foster continuous improvement in the delivery of programs and services for all students, including students with special needs.

Any individual, agency, or organization wishing to provide services in TLDSB schools to students during the school day must:

  • Read the guidelines outlined on this page.
  • Read the ES-5023 Community Partnerships for the Provision of Health and Social Services in Schools Policy Procedure – contact the Department of Specialized Services to make the request.
  • Complete a memorandum of agreement or a collaborative agreement for private services

Please contact the Department of Specialized Services for more information or to request documentation by emailing [email protected] or calling 1-888-526-5552.

Public service providers

Who is considered a public service provider?

A public service provider is an external agency or organization delivering programming and/or services through a regulated health professional or social worker, or a paraprofessional under their supervision, or established agencies/organizations that provide evidence-based programs and/or services.

Services offered must align with the Board’s strategic directions, vision, mission, and values.

What services can be offered in schools

Services provided by public service providers during the school day will only be approved if they are deemed to be of benefit to a student’s mental or physical well-being, and access to these services may directly or indirectly positively impact participating students’ educational programming and/or attendance at school.

Programs/services that are considered include:

  • Individual student services: access to students already on an agency/organization caseload for the purpose of continued services, support, and meetings, such as mental health counselling, addictions counselling, and occupational or physical therapy.
  • General population services: access via appointment; by personal choice or TLDSB staff referral, such as a mental health or physical health walk-in clinic.
  • Programs that occur on breaks or at a defined time, are established or evidence-based, and support an aspect of student wellness or skill development.

How can an agency/organization apply to offer services in the school?

Public service providers who wish to offer programs and services in our schools to students during the school day can request and submit a memorandum of understanding (MOU) application for review by the Community Partnerships Joint Advisory Committee, which meets once per month during the school year.

Programs or services are not to be offered in schools until an agreement with TLDSB is complete and signed by both parties.

Note: The existence of an MOU with TLDSB does not obligate schools to participate in general population services or programs. Once an MOU is complete, it is the responsibility of the public service provider to approach school principals about participation, and the discretion of the principal to determine what programs/services will operate in the school.

Private Service Providers

Who is considered to be a Private Service Provider?

Services delivered to a specific student by an individual or agency professional or paraprofessional under supervision that are not a Board employee and whose services are arranged and/or paid for by a parent/guardian, insurance company, or other private party. Services may be offered in the home, community, practitioner office setting, or, under specific circumstances, in schools during the school day.

What services can occur in the school?

A private service provider may complete an observation, demonstration, or consultation during a limited and defined timeframe.

In select circumstances as approved by the Community Partners Joint Advisory Committee and in consultation with the school principal, direct services may be offered in the school.

How can a private service provider access a student during the school day?

In order to apply to access a student during the school day, the following conditions must be met:

  1. The access is at the request of the parent/guardian.
  2. The access is for a limited, defined timeframe.
  3. The purpose is to perform an observation, demonstration, or consultation.
  4. There must be a valid justification for why the provider must meet with or observe the student during the school day/instructional time, on school property (rather than after hours in a home or practitioner office setting).

If the conditions above are met, a private service provider can request and submit a collaborative agreement for private services for review by the Community Partnerships Joint Advisory Committee, which meets once per month during the school year. Upon approval a collaborative agreement for private services will be drafted for execution.

School Websites

Find it Fast


School year calendar


School registration


Jump to a school site


Transportation info