English language learners (ELL) come with many assets and skills.
- Learn English at the same time as they learn the Ontario curriculum;
- See themselves in the learning environment;
- Feel that their culture and language are valued;
- Have confidence to express their opinion and know they have avoice;
- Meet high expectations when they are involved in setting goals; and
- Have opportunities to choose pathways that honour their strength and interests.
Who are English Language Learners?
An English language learner is a student whose first language is other than English or is a variety of English that is significantly different from what is used for instruction in Ontario schools.