On February 23 and 24, Huntsville High School (HHS) students travelled to Lakefield College School to compete at the Ontario Federation of School Athletics Associations (OFSAA).
Over the course of the two days, the event saw over 500 athletes from across Ontario. The first day’s events featured individual distance events with team relays taking place on the second day.
The HHS team had 20 athletes competing in the events. Overall, the team earned silver in both the junior and senior combined teams. Individually, the team had several top 10 results, including:
- Mya Marshall place first in the senior girls open category
- Sam Richter placed first in the senior boys highschool category
- Aidan Spiers placed sixth in the senior boys highschool category
- Matt Kuusk placed tenth in the senior boys highschool category
- Leah Richter placed second in the junior girls highschool category
- Alayna Heinz placed thirst in the junior girls highschool category
All relay teams made the finals and were top two in the semi-finals. Below are the final results:
- The junior girls relay team place second
- The junior boys relay team placed fourth
- The senior girls relay team placed fourth
- The senior boys relay team placed fourth
“The coaches are so proud of the whole team and the results,” said HHS Student Services staff member and Nordic coach, Ally Myers. “In this sport the combined effort is so important and it is not just the medals that count, but the result of all skiers pushing hard to ski as fast and as technical as they can.”
“The racing and relays were both amazing events, but honestly, the FUN and the TEAM atmosphere is why I do high school sports and why they are so important to students,” said senior team member Aidan Spiers.
Congratulations athletes! What a way to end the 2023 Nordic season!