Director’s Recognition Award
The Director’s Recognition Award highlights extraordinary contributions by staff members, students, school volunteers, or community members, and is presented by the director of education, Wes Hahn, at each Trillium Lakelands District School Board (TLDSB) Regular Meeting of the Board. Hahn introduced this month’s recipients of the Director’s Recognition Award.
Head secretary at Jack Callaghan Public School (JCPS), Victoria Huntington, is a friendly, reliable person who has shown incredible initiative from the time she started. If she doesn’t know the answer to something, she knows who to ask and will not stop until she finds the answer. When you have a new situation and don’t know where to go, ask Huntington and her response will be, “I’m on it!” Students know they can go to Huntington for all things comforting and more often than not, she is able to find an occasional teacher or educational assistant to fill in the gap. Huntington makes everything run smoother at JCPS – she is the glue that keeps us all together.
TLDSB Skills Ontario Competition medalists
Among many outstanding results from TLDSB students at the Skills Ontario competition, two schools were recognized by trustees at this Regular Meeting of the Board – Fenelon Township Public School students Payton Moody, Ethan Gibson, Liam Doidge, and Carson Bradley
received gold in the elementary construction competitions with the support of teacher Susan Janke, and I.E. Weldon Secondary School students Ben Deschamps, Jaidon Mitchell, Caleb Dyck, and Cooper Falls received gold in the secondary home and team building competition under the guidance of teacher Jordan Batty.
Superintendent of learning, Kim Williams, presented a summary of secondary school programs and initiatives, which included:
- Details of how the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) Grade 9 math test is administered and test results from the 2021-2022 school year.
- How the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) test is administered, styles of questions, results from the 2021-2022 school year, and strategies to prepare students for the 2022-2033 test.
- Preparing students for jobs of the future, including various pathway initiatives.
- The results of the Skill Ontario competitions that have taken place this year, as well as highlighting the TLDSB individuals who are currently in Winnipeg, Manitoba, competing at the National Skills Ontario competition.
- Highlighting the Young Entrepreneurs in Action initiative, which encourages innovative business ideas, connects students and teachers with local entrepreneurs, and encourages projects connected to science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) and skilled trades.
Director of education, Wes Hahn, gave an update on the student learning across the system, upcoming EQAO assessments taking place in elementary schools, and professional development, specifically the after school sessions on literacy and numeracy that our educators are engaging in on their own time. Hahn also shared information about the recent Director’s Student Voice Summit sessions, as well as the signing of a new memorandum of understanding with the Board’s two health units, Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit and Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, and how important working together is to create healthy schools and communities.
2022-2023 Board and Committee of the Whole meeting schedule
Board meetings are open to the public to attend at the host location in-person. For virtual access, the meetings are live-streamed and the link is made available on the tldsb.ca website on the day of the meeting.
|Regular Board Meeting||June 13, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Muskoka Education Centre (MEC)|
|Regular Board Meeting||August 29, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Lindsay Education Centre (LEC)|
|Committee of the Whole||September 12, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Archie Stouffer Elementary School Library|
|Regular Board Meeting||September 26, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Muskoka Education Centre (MEC)|
|Committee of the Whole||October 10, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Lindsay Education Centre (LEC)|
|Regular Board Meeting||October 24, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Muskoka Education Centre (MEC)|
|Committee of the Whole||November 14, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Archie Stouffer Elementary School Library|
|Regular Board Meeting||November 28, 2023||6:30 p.m.||Lindsay Education Centre (LEC)|
|Organizational Meeting of the Board||December 5, 2023||6 p.m.||Muskoka Education Centre (MEC)|